Without Cholesterol we will be dead. Cholesterol also gives you Longevity, especially in women. Just like Saturated fats have been demonized, so has Cholesterol.
The food manufacturers demonized saturated fat mainly because it's expensive and cut their profits. They prefer to sell you cheap stuff with no nutritional value.
The Pharmaceutical companies demonized cholesterol so they could sell medicines and earn $£ billions.
Glucose (sugar) and Proteins (amino acids) are water soluble, they enter the blood system in which they are circulating throughout your body through the beating of your heart. Fats (lipids) aren't water soluble. They need a transportation system in order to reach cells and other parts of your body. This is the same for cholesterol and they join forces.
Your body makes about 80% of its Cholesterol needs, the rest comes from animal fats (not plants). In fact the brain (see below) makes 100% of its needs - that is how IMPORTANT Cholesterol is. Your liver synthesizes most of your body's cholesterol needs. However all your cells that have mitochondria are able to make cholesterol as well. Nice backup for the body and this clearly shows the importance of cholesterol.
Low cholesterol = strokes and cancer
High cholesterol = does not equal heart attacks
May we refer to Nina Teicholz
The Big Fat Surprise This is a MUST read.
Also the Great Cholesterol Con by Dr Malcolm Kendrick. How funny and entertaining this book is, thanks Doctor. It is of course serious as well containing a lot of data. Not Correlation (gueswork, maybe, I bet I'm right Ancel Keys said, but he wasn't) but Causation data (proven).
We need cholesterol to survive. It's as simple as that. In fact it's so important for brain function the brain makes ALL its cholesterol needs regardless of what we eat, that's how important it is. There is a barrier in place called the Brain Blood Barrier (clever one) which stops any cholesterol through, which otherwise is made by the liver for the rest of the body. Although the brain has only 2%-3% of your body weight it has 20%-25% of the cholesterol.
Brain cells simply need all this cholesterol to perform its duties, the way nature intended and which has evolved for millennia. The brain has a "messaging service" to the rest of the body called neurotransmitters. For example seratonin and dopamine (happy signals) are sent to make you feel better.
If you take Statins they WILL reduce the cholesterol in your brain. This is extremely serious and will cut your life short. If your Doctor recommended this, all we can say is - Change Doctor!
If you are in the highest risk group possible (men of a certain age who have already had a heart attack), for every 100 of these men given statins for five years, 1.8 men will live, on average, an extra 6 months and 98.2 will gain no benefit. Women should NEVER take statins! So, what is it in statins that actually help these 1,8 people? Statins are anti inflammatory. Hart Ketogenic Plan is massively anti inflammatory and this is what your body needs to ward off any autoimmune disease as well as cardiovascular disease and stroke.
It's not unusual for Doctors or other medically educated people to actually threaten their patients saying "If you don't take statins you will die". It has actually got the complete opposite effect and can kill you years before your time should be up. Should this be considered as a chargeable offence? Don't forget your GP's practice gets financial benefits from the Pharmaceutical Companies each year depending on how many prescriptions they have issued.
Statins have massive negative side effects. Statins deplete your body of CoQ10 which is the food for your mitochondria, inhibit synthesis of vitamin K2, and reduce the production of ketone bodies. Statins increase your risk of serious diseases including cancer, diabetes, neurodegenerative diseases, musculoskeletal disorders and cataracts.
"First and foremost cholesterol is a vital component of every cell membrane on Earth. In other words, there is no life on Earth that can live without cholesterol. That will automatically tell you that, in of itself, it cannot be evil. In fact it is one of our best friends. We would not be here without it. No wonder lowering cholesterol too much increases one's risk of dying. Cholesterol also is a precursor to all of the steroid hormones. You cannot make estrogen, testosterone, cortisone, and a host of other vital hormones without cholesterol.”
Doctor Don Rosedale MD, widely considered to be the leading anti-aging doctor in the United States
High cholesterol is the
longevity syndrome - a Condition you WANT!
- Cholesterol helps reduce stress and may even be a treatment for MS, as the body needs cholesterol to build the myelin sheath that protects the nerves
- People who have low or no cholesterol suffer from autism, vision problems, lower immunity and increased infections, and difficulty digesting food
- High-density lipoprotein (HDL) is positively associated with a decreased risk of coronary heart disease (CHD)
- Those with diabetes tend to have too much of the bad type of cholesterol, LDL and not enough of the good type HDL. This can lead to heart disease. The condition is known as diabetic dyslipidemia
- Insulin resistance is linked to diabetic dyslipidemia, so diabetics need to be aware of their cholesterol levels and take special care with their diets.
- High cholesterol protects you against infectious diseases
- You run a risk of becoming infected with viruses if your cholesterol is low
- Children with allergic problems, such as asthma and hay fever, have lower cholesterol than healthy children. It is due to the increasing consumption of sugar, carbohydrates and polyunsaturated vegetable oils (read crisps and chips) of omega-6 as they all stimulate inflammatory processes, and allergy is a kind of inflammation.
Ask yourself, if Cholesterol is so bad, why does it not clog up in the veins, only arteries? We are barking up the wrong tree